Subsidized Compost (Tumbler) Bins Available
Town Hall

Information for Voters

Am I eligible to vote?
In accordance with section 22 of the Act, in order to vote in a municipal election a person must:
  • be a Canadian citizen;
  • be at least 18 years of age on or before the election date;
  • have been ordinarily a resident for the 30 days immediately preceding election day either in the municipality or in an area that on election day is part of the municipality;
  • have valid identification; and
  • have not already voted in the current election
Do I have to be ordinarily resident in the municipality for 30 days prior to the
election day to be able to vote?

Whether or not someone is an ordinarily resident will depend on: whether they live and sleep in the municipality; whether they intend to return to the municipality when they are absent; and whether their family resides in the municipality. These are all factors that need to be considered when determining whether someone is ordinarily resident. Additionally, a person may only have one place of residency for the purposes of voting in the election.

Please note that the Returning Officer has the sole discretion to determine whether a person has satisfied the required residency requirements.

I’m a student going to school in another municipality…can I still vote in Marystown?
In accordance with section 24 of the Act and to establish whether a person is eligible to vote, the following rules determine the residency of a person:
  1. a person shall be a resident of the place where he or she lives and sleeps and to which, when absent, he or she intends to return;
  2. residency is not lost by a person who leaves that residence for temporary purposes only; and
  3. the place where a person’s family resides shall be his or her residence unless that person commences and continues to live at some other place with the intention of remaining there, in which case, the person shall be considered to be resident in the place in which he or she intends to reside.

A person shall, for the purpose of the Act, have only one place of residency.

If you attending a post-secondary institution and living at home, then your place of ordinary residence is your family home.

If you leave your family home to attend a post-secondary institution but you intend to return to your family home after completing your studies, you are considered to be ordinarily resident in the place and polling division where your family home is located. This is the district for which you should vote on election day.

If you are not planning on returning to your family home or remain unsure as to whether you will be returning there, then you can be included on the voters list for the polling division where your current residence is located. You should vote by providing identification and taking the required oath or affirmation and meeting all of the voting criteria.

What do I need to vote?

In order to vote, you will need to produce one piece of authorized identification that confirms both your name and current residential address. Identification is needed when you go to vote.

Remember to bring:
  • one piece of identification showing your name and qualifying Marystown address
Examples of authorized identification include:
  • NL Driver’s License
  • NL Health Card (photo card showing name and address)
  • NL Photo Card

All voters must sign the voting register stating that they meet these qualifications and provide satisfactory authorized identification before they will be given a ballot.

Where or how do I register to vote?
In accordance with section 25 of the Act, an elector whose name is not on the final list of electors can be added to the list:
  • in person with an “Oath or Affirmation of Voter” form from the Returning Officer – when the “oath” has been issued, the name of the elector is then deemed to be on the final list of electors
  • a person whose name has been omitted from the list of voters and is qualified to vote may vote on Election Day upon taking an oath or affirmation in the required form
  • a person who refuses to take an oath or affirmation will not be permitted to vote
Where do I go to vote?

Polling stations will be announced closer to the election.

What if I can’t vote in person?
Advanced Poll

In accordance with section 26 of the Act, voters can vote in advance of Election Day. The Advance Poll will take place on September 18th from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Town Office

Proxy Vote

In accordance with section 27 of the Act, an “impeditive voter” who cannot vote at the Advance Poll or on Election Day can authorize another person, who is qualified to vote, to vote on his or her behalf.

An impeditive voter can request a proxy application from the Returning Officer. The Returning Officer can only provide a proxy application directly to the impeditive voter or to his or her designated proxy.

An application must be made in person to the Returning Officer in the required form no later than 4:00 p.m. on September 27, 2021.

Upon receiving such an application, and being satisfied that the requirements for proxy have been complied with, the Returning Officer shall issue a Proxy Certificate. This Proxy Certificate must be provided to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer at the polling division by the designated proxy voter before he/she can vote on behalf of the impeditive voter.

No more than one Proxy Certificate can be issued for any one impeditive voter and no person can act as a proxy voter for more than one impeditive voter.

Call 279-1661 ext. 226 or email [email protected] to ask about getting a proxy application/certificate.

Can a proxy vote be used at an advanced poll?

No, a proxy vote can only be used on election day.

Can I request that a person help me vote?

Yes, if you are incapacitated and unable to vote on your own, or need special voting arrangements due to your personal situation, please make this known to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer, who will provide assistance through an election official or through the person accompanying you.

Does sequential numbering in any way connect a voter to their completed

No. Sequential numbering should be found on a counterfoil, which should be separated from the ballot prior to depositing the completed ballot into the ballot box. Therefore, there should be no way to connect the completed ballot to the voter.

I think that a municipal election was not carried out properly. What can I do?

A petition detailing the alleged complaint needs to be presented to the provincial court within 30 days of when the election (or alleged action) occurred in order for the matter to be reviewed by the court.