Boil Water Advisory, Little Bay, April 2, 2021
Town Hall

Municipal Elections

As per the Municipal Elections Act the municipal election is held every four years on the last Tuesday in September.  

The next municipal election will take place on September 28, 2021.

Please note this section of our website will be updated regularly as information becomes available so keep checking back!

Marystown operates under an ‘at large’ system (rather than a ward system) wherein elected officials represent the town as a whole. The Marystown Council consists of the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and five Councillors. The municipal election is your opportunity to determine how our community moves forward for the next four years by either running as a candidate or voting for who you think would best represent Marystown.

Important Election Dates

Nomination Day 

TBD, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Town Office

Advanced Poll

TBD, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Town Office

Election Day

Tuesday, September 28, 2021, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Various Polling Stations / Mobile Poll

Information for Candidates

Am I qualified to run for Council?
In accordance with section 15 of the Act, a person is qualified to be nominated as a candidate for Council if he or she is:
  • a qualified voter in the municipality in which he/she is seeking nomination;
  • not in arrears of taxes or other charges payable to the municipality; and
  • ordinarily a resident in the municipality, or in an area that on election day is part of the municipality, for at least 30 days before the commencement of the nomination period
A person is not qualified to be nominated as a candidate for Council where:
  • he/she is the Clerk, Manager or a paid Department Head of that Council
  • he/she is a member of the House of Commons, the Senate of Canada, the House of Assembly or a judge of the Supreme or Provincial Court
  • he/she was individually dismissed or was a member of a Council that was dismissed by the Minister, in accordance with the Municipalities Act, 1999
  • his/her seat was vacated in accordance with applicable legislation
How do I get nominated for Council?
In accordance with section 16 of the Act:
  • a candidate must be nominated by two persons eligible to vote in Marystown
  • the nomination must be in writing and must state the name and civic address of the candidate and must be signed by the proposer and seconder, both of whom shall be present together with the candidate who must also sign signifying his or her acceptance of the nomination
  • in circumstances where a candidate is unable to be present for his/her nomination, the Returning Officer may accept a declaration to this effect from the candidate’s nominators, together with a declaration that the candidate is qualified to be nominated and accepts the nomination
Is there a nomination fee?

In accordance with section 18 of the Act, the Returning Officer must collect from each candidate at the time of his/her nomination, a non-refundable nomination fee in the amount of $10.

What if I change my mind on running for Council?

In accordance with section 21 of the Act, a person who has been nominated may withdraw his or her nomination by filing a written withdrawal with the Returning Officer within 24 hours after the close of nominations.

The nomination fee is forfeited.

Information for Voters

Am I eligible to vote?
In accordance with section 22 of the Act, in order to vote in a municipal election a person must:
  • be a Canadian citizen;
  • be at least 18 years of age on or before the election date;
  • have been ordinarily a resident for the 30 days immediately preceding election day either in the municipality or in an area that on election day is part of the municipality;
  • have valid identification; and
  • have not already voted in the current election
What do I need to vote?

In order to vote, you will need to produce one piece of authorized identification that confirms both your name and current residential address. Identification is needed when you go to vote.

Remember to bring:
  • one piece of identification showing your name and qualifying Marystown address
Examples of authorized identification include:
  • NL Driver’s License
  • NL Health Card (photo card showing name and address)
  • NL Photo Card

All voters must sign the voting register stating that they meet these qualifications and provide satisfactory authorized identification before they will be given a ballot.

Where do I go to vote?

Polling stations will be announced closer to the election.

Where or how do I register to vote?
In accordance with section 25 of the Act, an elector whose name is not on the final list of electors can be added to the list:
  • in person with an “Oath or Affirmation of Voter” form from the Returning Officer – when the “oath” has been issued, the name of the elector is then deemed to be on the final list of electors
  • a person whose name has been omitted from the list of voters and is qualified to vote may vote on Election Day upon taking an oath or affirmation in the required form
  • a person who refuses to take an oath or affirmation will not be permitted to vote
What if I can’t vote in person?
Advanced Poll

In accordance with section 26 of the Act, voters can vote in advance of Election Day.
TBD, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Town Office

Proxy Vote

In accordance with section 27 of the Act, an “impeditive voter” who cannot vote at the Advance Poll or on Election Day can authorize another person, who is qualified to vote, to vote on his or her behalf.

An impeditive voter can request a proxy application from the Returning Officer. The Returning Officer can only provide a proxy application directly to the impeditive voter or to his or her designated proxy.

An application must be made in person to the Returning Officer in the required form no later than 4:00 p.m. on September 26, 2021.

Upon receiving such an application, and being satisfied that the requirements for proxy have been complied with, the Returning Officer shall issue a Proxy Certificate. This Proxy Certificate must be provided to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer at the polling division by the designated proxy voter before he/she can vote on behalf of the impeditive voter.

No more than one Proxy Certificate can be issued for any one impeditive voter and no person can act as a proxy voter for more than one impeditive voter.

I’m a student going to school in another municipality…can I still vote in Marystown?
In accordance with section 24 of the Act and to establish whether a person is eligible to vote, the following rules determine the residency of a person:
  1. a person shall be a resident of the place where he or she lives and sleeps and to which, when absent, he or she intends to return;
  2. residency is not lost by a person who leaves that residence for temporary purposes only; and
  3. the place where a person’s family resides shall be his or her residence unless that person commences and continues to live at some other place with the intention of remaining there, in which case, the person shall be considered to be resident in the place in which he or she intends to reside.

A person shall, for the purpose of the Act, have only one place of residency.

If you attending a post-secondary institution and living at home, then your place of ordinary residence is your family home.

If you leave your family home to attend a post-secondary institution but you intend to return to your family home after completing your studies, you are considered to be ordinarily resident in the place and polling division where your family home is located. This is the district for which you should vote on election day.

If you are not planning on returning to your family home or remain unsure as to whether you will be returning there, then you can be included on the voters list for the polling division where your current residence is located. You should vote by providing identification and taking the required oath or affirmation and meet all of the voting criteria.

For additional information, please refer to the Municipal Election FAQs.